Thursday 13 November 2008

Oh dear, not again...

I used to have several blogs. Each one lasted a maximum of around five posts before boredom/inertia set in and I abandoned it...

Hopefully, that will not be the case with this one. That's because this blog will be more focused than the others. It isn't simply a platform for me to vent my spleen about whatever happened to annoy me on a particular day, there is more of a point to it, which is to create a sort of diary following my efforts at making fillums! Particularly animated fillums, but more generally anything I can get my act together sufficiently to do...

Because my main interest is stop-motion animation, this blog will inevitably cover all the stuff that has to be done before the camera's lens cap even comes off, stuff like plot and script writing, character and set design, construction (of puppets, props, miniature sets etc.). I'd also like to have a crack at doing some live-action filming, with animated effects integrated a la Ray Harryhausen, the absolute touchstone figure for anyone with even a passing interest in stop-motion.

This blog will be scrappy, I make no apologies for that. A lot of stuff willl be concerned with experiments in filming just to try to hone various techniques with no effort at devising a story or plot. And some of it will have nothing to do with animation, as there are other techniques I want to turn my hand to.

Being a novice at such things, I hope this blog will also serve to give useful hints and tips to others interested in Old School special effects and animation film-making.

So, without further ado, here goes...

No comments: